
I started taking a yoga class downtown on Tues and Thurs and I love it. It's not the hard-core workout I was used to back when I practiced yoga for a year - this is a "restorative" class which means that there's a whole lot of laying down, sitting, and stretching, and the average age in my class is like 62 so needless to say I'm the novelty pregnant girl.
So after class yesterday I was talking to a few nice older ladies about the fact I'm having twins, when my due date is, etc. and this nice 50-ish man joins in. He asks if I know Lara who is an instructor there and who is due to give birth any day now. I tell him that I know Lara really well but that I haven't yet seen her pregnant. He says to me, "Well, she's about half your size but you're carrying twins."
Ok....um, this is an example of a comment you just don't say out loud. Especially to the pregnant woman who still has some 2 and half months to go. But it's okay, I in my enlightened yoga awareness have forgiven him. Well, kind of.
Comments like his and the constant "You are having a girl!" followed by knowing wink/look/smugness from stranger that I seem to be getting all the time lately. Really people, the shape of your belly has NOTHING to do with the sex of the baby- but because these people are right oh say 50% of the time, they keep getting their silliness reinforced. What is my response supposed to be to these people? "Oh mighty wizard! You are correct! How do you do the magic you do??". Stupid.
ReplyDeleteI think pregnant people give other people (some not all) an excuse to be rude weirdos. I don't know why this is but it is.
ReplyDeleteFitzlosopher, you KILL me!
ReplyDeleteA male friend of ours thinks it's funny to say, "hey Erin, you're getting fatter!" And I want to say, "Well, F*%k you very much!"
It's not fat. It's a BABY!
Oh, and how's your yoga class? I want to start back up, but I know there's lots of stuff preggie ladies shouldn't do.
It's surprising that more people aren't hurt or maimed by insulted pregnant ladies...
ReplyDeleteErin, you should look for a pre-natal Yoga class which is ideal or you could take a yoga class for oldies like I do. The basic poses you want to stay away from is lying flat on your back or twisting. Or of course hanging in a harness. ;)